Sunday, June 29, 2014

DIY Pearls with Edge

The pearl has gone super sassy! We are seeing bold, punky pearl jewelry designs on fashion runways and in designer collections these days. So, I thought I would highlight some DIY pearl jewelry ideas with a bit of edge in honor of MiShel's Pearls, Pearls, Pearls blog hop going on today.
 
Pearls and Leather Earrings
I love the look of pearls and leather together. These earrings are quick and easy to make for gifts or for yourself. I also love how this earring project uses crimp cord ends in a unique way, adding an urban chic look to these.

Pearls and Leather Earrings 
Erin Siegel 
Materials:  
12 silver 6mm potato fresh-water pearls 
2 copper 7x6mm rice fresh-water pearls 
14 sterling silver 2” headpins 
6” of Black 2mm leather cord 
1 pair of sterling silver ear wires 

Tools:  
Wire cutters 
Chain nose pliers 
Round nose pliers 
Scissors

Instructions:
 
1: Use 1 headpin to string 1 silver pearl; make a wrapped loop, making sure to make a loop large enough to string onto the leather. Repeat 5 more times. Use 1 headpin to string 1 copper pearl; make a wrapped loop, again, making sure that your loop in large enough to fit on the leather.  
2: Cut the leather piece in half. Using one 3” piece of leather, string 3 silver pearl dangles, the copper pearl dangle and 3 silver pearl dangles. 
3: Bring the leather ends together and insert them into the crimp end finding. Crimp the crimp end with chain nose pliers. Attach an ear wire to the loop of the crimp end finding. Repeat steps to make the second earring. 
Resources: 
Ear wires: Miss Fickle Media. Leather and crimp ends: Artbeads.com.
 Tattered Silk Necklace 
http://store.ornamentea.com/store/product/30172/Tompkins-Tassel-Bracelet/
 Tompkins Tassel Bracelet

from my e-book, Punk Chic Jewelry


For more edgy designs, including how to make the Tattered Silk Necklace and the Tompkins Tassel Bracelet above, check out Punk Chic Jewelry: 16 DIY Jewelry Projects to Add an Urban Edge to Your Wardrobe available through Amazon.com. DIY kits for all the jewelry projects in the book are available now at Ornamentea.com.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KIWTRYK/ref=pe_385040_118058080_TE_M1T1DP




Happy creating and thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to see what my co-creatives are making with pearls. If you've created something with pearls, add your link below:

15 comments:

  1. What great designs! I just love those earrings and will have to make myself up a pair. I have also pinned the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love your new line of punk chic jewelry - especially since it has pearls included!! What fun these are! Thanks so much for joining in the pearl fun and for the lovely pearl earring tutorial - it's fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pearl earrings - such a modern twist to traditional leather and pearl earrings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tattered silk necklace, wow, I just adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Those are really fun earrings. I would never have envisioned the pearls with chain work but it looks fantastic in your Tattered Silk Necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin,
    I love your Punk Chic Jewelry it is awesome! I love the earrings and the tattered silk necklace.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow! love the edginess of the pearls and your photo is so awesome wearing them!! I've been using pearls for a long time...so this is giving me some new ideas....Love it! And hope you are doing well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool that you have taken pearls to the sassy side, and they do sassy well. Love those earrings - thanks for the tutorial. All you pieces are fun and so wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool are these! you have created some really unusual pieces I especially like the tattered silk necklace.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love, the tattered silk necklace.....and thanks for the tut...will give it a try! Excellent work!

    veradesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you're showing the nontraditional styling with pearls. I have you to thank for getting me started thinking leather and pearls awhile ago!
    My favorite of these is that edgy necklace...now it's silk and chains with pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are so beautiful... love the earrings esp...
    -Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! love that tattered silk necklace, an amazing design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun designs Erin and congrats on the book! When do you find time to fit all your projects in? This new line is so fun an urban chic

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the earrings best. How creative and generous to share your technique. Edgy bracelet a necklace, and I love how the necklace looks on you. Great idea to include the photo, it really highlights how the chains drape.

    ReplyDelete

I live for comments! Please do share your thoughts...